Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Ardbeg 10 Year Single Malt


            The first time I had Laphroaig Single Malt whiskey was only mid- to late-December of last year, and I was hit by the massive amount of peat this scotch has. This is the staple of Islay style scotch: smoky and peaty. This was Laphroaig Quarter Cask, aged 10 years, and the peat surely (to some people) is overwhelming. I, personally, have learned to love the taste, as the smoke and peat add a depth of flavor to the whiskey that few other drinks can match. So, when the opportunity arose to try another Islay scotch, I literally jumped at the chance and decided to try Ardbeg, 10 year aged.

Nose

            I must admit that when it comes to the aroma of whiskeys, I am not really the man to talk to, as I usually only have one nostril unclogged at any one point and it is usually slightly stuffy. That being said, for the Ardbeg one smell can easily be identified right off the bat: Peat. For those who do not know, peat generally has a more smoky aroma with a slightly earthy scent to it. That should easily give a clue as to how the scotch will taste--as with all food and drink the dominant aroma tends to be the dominant taste. Ardbeg’s website describes the aroma as “smoky fruit…peat infused with zesty lemon and lime, wrapped in waxy dark chocolate.” If you look for it, I am sure the chocolate is there, but I mainly smell the peat and fruit.

Taste

            Once more, Ardbeg’s website gives a lengthy description of the many tastes their 10 year scotch contains. From lemon to “…sizzling cinnamon…” to buttermilk to even liqourice root. I will not shy away from admitting that I was unable to taste most of these, which could be chalked up to my nose being stuffed or just that my tongue is not trained well enough to find these individual flavors. What was immediately stood out to me was the obvious: the peat. I was expecting it to have a flavor similar to the Laphroaig, a massive amount of peat, but I was surprised. While the peat was present, it was not overwhelming, allowing me to taste the other flavors present in the whiskey, such as the other fruity flavors and slightly spicy pepper tones.
Like Laphroaig, I had this over ice, but unlike the Laphroaig, I did not have to wait for the scotch to get watered down before tasting the other flavors. From the start, I could taste the Ardbeg’s peat, but I was also able to taste a sweetness with it as well. I would not call this the lemon taste it advertised, rather more a berry-like taste, but a mild one. Either way, this was a wonderful mixture, as the smoky peat and sweet fruit combined to make a deep and interesting blend of flavors. I enjoyed this very much, especially coming from only a 10 year aged scotch. Moving forward, I must talk about what was one of the most surprising things about Ardbeg: how smooth it is. Currently, one of my favorite scotches is Glenfiddich 15 year aged. The Ardbeg is a smoother scotch than the 15 year, something that surprised me as it is 5 years younger. I consider this a mark of quality.

Finish

            I will not speak at length on Ardbeg’s finish. It is a pleasant finish, smooth, easy, with less peat and more fruit. The aftertaste it leaves is one I do not mind at all, as all those excellent flavors meld nicely together. Personally, I find the finish makes want to drink the Ardbeg more.

Conclusion

            Ardbeg is a nice quality, well made and overall great Single Malt. It is smooth and it is tasty, and from a 10 year, that is a great deal. While I could not taste or smell a lot of the advertised flavors and aromas, that did not stop me from enjoying this scotch. If I had to rate this one, I would easily give it a 9 out of 10. If you have the chance, I would easily recommend you give it a shot. But I will warn you, if you do not like peat or smoke, you will not like this. If you do, what are you waiting for?

No comments:

Post a Comment